Despite the misperception that exercise during pregnancy is risky for women and their babies, studies consistently show that those who work out when they’re expecting tend to have better health outcomes during pregnancy and delivery.
Here are some of the benefits of exercising while you are pregnant:
- Better cardiovascular function
- Less weight gain
- Lower musculoskeletal discomfort, especially in the lower back
- Better posture
- Fewer muscle cramps
- Better mood and self-esteem
- Lower risk of gestational diabetes
- Fewer instances of hypertension
- Better circulation throughout the body and to the placenta
- Less constipation and bloating
- Improved muscle support for the pelvis
- Lower rates of incontinence
- Stronger muscles, bones, and ligaments for labor and delivery
- More energy and better sleep
Find Fit and Healthy Pregnancy in your local bookstore or online and learn safe ways to exercise for two!
- Amazon Fit & Healthy Pregnancy
- Barnes & Noble Fit & Healthy Pregnancy
- Your local independent bookseller Fit & Healthy Pregnancy
- Chapters/Indigo Fit & Healthy Pregnancy
Please consult your doctor before embarking on an exercise program during pregnancy.